About Video Mosaic Collaboration
The Video Mosaic Collaborative (VMC) is an interactive collaboration portal designed to enable teachers, teacher educators and researchers to analyze and utilize the real classroom videos shot over a span of 20+ years to make new discoveries in math education and transform mathematics research, teaching and learning.
The VMC integrates the Robert B. Davis Institute for Learning Video Collection, a video collection spanning two decades capturing mathematics learning experiences across a range of grades, types of schools, with an online collaboration platform and tools. By combining innovative research with the teaching and learning process teachers, teacher educators and researchers are able to analyze and utilize actual classroom videos to enhance the experience for educators and students. The interactive and collaborative nature of the VMC allows researchers to craft new teaching methods while enabling practicing teachers and teacher educators to use and construct interventions for classes, individual students and other scenarios, with a high probability of success.
VMC, an NSF grant-funded initiative, tests the hypothesis that interventions utilizing videos and collaborative tools are more effective than comparably designed interventions without these components.
The Video Mosaic Collaborative (VMC) is primarily intended for use by teacher educators, researchers, education students, and practicing teachers. The VMC's unique design and approach will enable each of these core users to utilize the content in ways best suited for their purposes.
The teacher educator, working with pre-service and in-service teachers, can:
- Use the VMCAnalytic tool (coming soon) to share video excerpts and annotations in your courses.
- Influence teacher beliefs on how students effectively learn and understand mathematics concepts.
- Illustrate how videos can enhance the preparation of mathematics educators.
Researchers and Students
VMC integrates a significant video collection of students and teachers in mathematics learning settings over 20+ years with sophisticated web-based collaboration tools. VMC is being designed as to support research and teaching in the mathematics education community and beyond.
Teachers can use videos and other site information to:
- Demonstrate how students learn mathematical concepts, such as fractions.
- Create excerpts and annotations of videos with the VMCAnalytic tool (coming soon)
- Explore effective teaching strategies for use in the classroom, with groups or one on one.
- Learn about topics in depth, for classroom preparation.